The winners of the 2014 Underground Mine Emergency Response Competition were announced last night.
The winners of the 2014 Underground Mine Emergency Response Competition were announced last night at a gala presentation dinner at the Goldfields Institute of Technology.
Proudly hosted by the Chamber of Minerals and Energy of Western Australia (CME), the competition sees mines rescue teams compete in simulated emergency situations with the ultimate goal of improving emergency response skills and knowledge.
CME Chief Executive Reg Howard-Smith said the event was focused on training industry personnel to respond to hazards present in the resources sector.
“Our people work hard in challenging conditions and we want to make sure they go home safe and healthy every day,” said Mr Howard-Smith.
“The event prepares teams to respond to any emergency situation, while sharpening the skills they hopefully will never have to put to use,” said Mr Howard-Smith.
A total of thirteen teams competed this year across eight challenging scenarios including search and rescue, rope rescue, breathing apparatus skills, team skills, fire-fighting, first aid, incident management and theory.
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines (KCGM) 1 took out the overall honours for Best Team, followed by St Barbara Limited in second place, and in third place Norton Gold Fields.
The other winners include:
- Best Captain: Drew Miller, KCGM 1
- Best New Team: AngloGold Ashanti, Sunrise Dam
- Best New Captain: Jamie Stratton, KCGM 2
- Search and Rescue: KCGM 1
- Team Skills: La Mancha Resources
- Theory: St Barbara Limited
- Fire Fighting: KCGM 1
- Rope Rescue: Northern Star Resources, Kalgoorlie
- BA Skills: AngloGold Ashanti, Sunrise Dam
- First Aid: KCGM 1
- Team Safety: KCGM 1
- Best Scenario – Team Vote: Team Skills
- Theory Individual: Nick Sutherland, AngloGold Ashanti, Sunrise Dam
- Incident Management Scenario: James Lill, Gold Fields Australia, Granny Smith
- Overall BA Skills: KCGM 1
- Overall First Aid: Silver Lake Resources
- Chief Adjudicators’ Award for Event Management: Rope Rescue
CME congratulates the competing teams, event managers and volunteers who all worked tirelessly over the weekend to produce a very successful event.
CME also thanks hosts KCGM for the use of their Mt Charlotte facilities over the weekend.