The Workplace Health and Safety Portfolio is responsible for working with industry to identify and manage inherent hazards and risks, promoting research and development to foster innovation and industry wide technology solutions and working closely with government to ensure the regulatory regime is streamlined, transparent and formalises a best practice risk based approach.
Within the Workplace Health and Safety Portfolio CME is focused on the following strategies to deliver the industry’s vision:
People - A safe and healthy place to work
- Everyone in the industry understands and is trained to manage the inherent hazards and risks.
Innovation - Industry wide technology solutions
- Industry wide commitment to shared research and development collaboration within the industry attracts the best researchers and students.
Infrastructure and Planning - Effective regulatory capacity
- Legislation is enacted which formalises risk management principles
- Government processes are streamlined, transparent and simplified reducing regulatory burden.
Projects and Issues
- Reform of Safety Legislation in WA
- Sharing Lessons learned from unwanted events
- Promote a Risk Based Approach to regulation
- Identify and Share Information on Best Practice Safety and Health Management
- Collaboration with Department of Mines and Petroleum on guidance material and other industry advice including:
- Site Management and supervision
- Prinicipal Hazard Management Plans
- Safe operation of mobile autonomous equipment.
- Training and Core Occupational Health and Safety Competencies
- Safety and Health Conference and Innovation Awards
- Strategies to improve Fitness to Operate and wellbeing outcomes
- Emergency Response Surface and Underground Mine Rescue Competitions (Kalgoorlie).
The Workplace Health and Safety Committee is tasked with leading policy development on health and safety issues impacting the resources sector.
The Workplace Safety and Health Committee is Chaired by Mike Ferraro of Doral Pty Ltd.
The Workplace Health and Safety Committee and Portfolio are supported by the following working groups:
- Eastern Regional Occupation Safety and Health Forum
- South West Regional Occupation Safety and Health Forum
- Mental Health Working Group
- Radiation Management Network
- Safety Legislation Reform Workshops (as needed).
The Workplace Health and Safety Committee provides guidance on CME’s participation on a number of external groups:
- Mining Industry Advisory Committee
- National Mine Safety Framework Tri-State Legislative Working Group
- Safety Legislation Reform Ministerial Advisory Panel (MAP) and the following MAP Sub Groups:
- Conveyor guarding
- Confined spaces
CME Safety and Health Innovation Awards
The 2014 awards were presented during the Safety and Health Conference at the Innovation Awards gala dinner on 14 April 2014.
The Awards recognise individuals, teams and companies who have developed new initiatives or original solutions to specific safety and health problems in the workplace.
For full details, click here to visit the Safety and Health Innovation Awards page