Within the Land Access Portfolio, CME is focused on the following strategies to deliver the industry’s vision:
- More efficient government processes for obtaining access to land for exploration, development and infrastructure purposes
- Streamlined approvals and compliance processes which reduce regulatory overlap, and increase transparency and stakeholder certainty
- Efficient and effective heritage and native title frameworks
- Enhanced opportunities for integrated land use arrangements
- Highly competent and responsive government agencies
- Government policy increases the attractiveness of Western Australia as a destination for investment.
Projects and Issues
Reviews and proposed legislative amendments to the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth).
- Legislative and administrative reform on Aboriginal heritage
- Changes to the jurisdiction of the Mining Warden
- State and federal heritage legislation, government policy and heritage listings
- Identifying and realising potential efficiencies in the Programme of Work System
- Principles based preferred model for strategic land use planning, such as the Multiple Land Use Framework
- Legislative Assembly Inquiry into the Implications for Western Australia of Hydraulic Fracturing for Unconventional Gas.
The Land Access Committee is tasked with leading policy development on issues such as exploration, project approvals, heritage and native title, and land use arrangements. The Committee meets quarterly in Perth.
The Committee Chair is Mr Robin Antrobus of ConocoPhillips Australia.
The Land Access Committee and portfolio is supported by the Native Title and Aboriginal Heritage Working Group. The Working Group informs CME’s policy position on native title and Aboriginal heritage, leads industry input into government reforms, and identifies emerging issues related to the operation of these systems in Western Australia.
The Land Access Committee provides guidance on CME’s participation on a number of external groups:
- Department of Mines and Petroleum’s Mining Industry Liaison Committee (MILC)
- Department of Aboriginal Affairs' Aboriginal Heritage and Native Title Industry Liaison Committee (AHNTILC)
- Minerals Council of Australia’s Indigenous Relations Working Group (IRWG) and Land Management Working Group (LMWG).
CME Submission to Review of Native Title Act 1993 Issues Paper